Mary
With regard to gastroparesis,I was not trying to diagnose anyone. I
don't think anybody would take it that way. And as you say it is a
rare disease and requires extensive testing for an actual diagnosis.
From time to time in our discussions here we come to the conclusion
that Fast 5 seems to help a such a wide range of conditions it was
hard to imagine one for which it would not be helpful. I was simply
pointing out one for which it would not be appropriate.
With regard to testing blood sugar after meals: on a group like this
of people who are overweight,it is a good bet that some may have blood
sugar problems .
The most common pattern in which diabetes develops is that the post
meal blood sugars are high for a long time before it shows up in their
fasting number. And also, many times before an A1c will show anything
because an A1c is an average. It has been shown that the average may
be low but the high post meal blood sugars may be high enough long
enough to cause many of the things that are called complications of
diabetes while still having a good A1c and a good fasting number.
(This information comes from Dr. Bernstien's Diabetes Solution and
Blood Sugar 101----I didn't make it up!)
So I was by no means saying that this is something that EVERYONE
should do. BUT was calling attention to the fact that IF someone is
concerned about their blood sugar, testing post meal SEVERAL TIMES
ONLY(not for an extended period) will tell them what they need to
know:
either they are fine or they do have some dysregulation that they have
a better chance of dealing with the sooner they know about it and take
action.
The way diabetes is now diagnosed, most people have had unrecognized
problems for quite a while. I think that is a shame. I do not think it
is out of line to warn a group of people who are concerned about their
health (or they wouldn't be here) that there is more to the story than
they are often told (by their health care professionals)
Ellen
On 8/16/09, Mary Jeanette Mannino <mjm1@cox.net> wrote:
> Gastroparesis certainly is a disorder that is seen with diabetics or
> others with neurologic pathology that slows down the muscular action
> of the stomach to digest food. However, it is relatively rare and not
> an easy diagnosis. I recently accompanied a diabetic friend who was
> having a three hour gastric emptying study. Her stomach emptying time
> was essentially normal, with some slowing after a fatty meal.
>
> I think we have to be very careful on this listserv and emails not to
> practice medicine, unless we have have the required education and
> license. As a long time medical professional and an instructor in
> evidence based medicine, I would not think of making a diagnosis
> outside my field of expertise. While I respect the individual stories
> of lay people and am pleased that they have been able to self-diagnose
> and treat their own ailments, unless it can be replicated, it is not
> science.
>
> Sharing ideas and websites can be fun, but they do not replace medical
> care and even common sense. As an example, taking blood sugars after
> every food encounter when you are not an insulin dependent diabetic,
> is not rational and not very useful unless you have a sound foundation
> of pancreatic, hepatic and neurophysiology.
>
> Sorry to be so negative, but I am really looking for strong, sound
> science, not anecdotes.
>
> MJ
>
> On Aug 16, 2009, at 10:03 AM, Ellen Ussery wrote:
>
>> So here is a condition for which eating smaller meals throughout the
>> day is appropriate.
>>
>> http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gastroparesis/
>>
>> Ellen
>>
>>
>
>
------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fast5/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fast5/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:fast5-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:fast5-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
fast5-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
[get this widget]
0 comments:
Post a Comment