Interesting. In another study they had volunteers eat anything they
wanted, but half had to have a bowl of soup (any soup they wanted)
first. The soup-eaters all lost weight.
Pureeing would have another effect too though? The fat would coat the
carbs, which makes them absorb along more of the intestine. Anything
that prolongs the digestion process along more of the intestine seems
to help with glucose/appetite control (even a plastic tube unfurled
along the upper intestine: the latest in weight control!).
I'm surprised the meal still wasn't digested after 3 hours though. I
reminds me of a dog I had once, which threw up in a car ride. The dog
hadn't eating for many hours, but it threw up a whole meal's worth of
undigested kibble. Which I'd guess says something about the
digestibility of kibble? I dunno how long it takes a dog to digest
most meals though.
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 1:16 AM, Kirsteen
Wright<kirsteen.falconsfan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Heather Twist <HeatherTwist@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I think this effect is one reason that eating soups works
>> for people to lose weight. Broth hits your stomach, then
>> gets out into your upper intestine pretty quickly (it's already
>> liquid) and tells the cells there "this is good food that has
>> plenty of protein", and the appetite decreases quickly.
>>
> They did a really interesting study with the British Army. They split the
> soldiers into two groups and gave them both the same meal of chicken, rice,
> vegetables and water. One group drank the water and ate the meal, the other
> group had it pureed into a soup. They were then doing hard physical
> training.
>
> Later (I can't remember exactly how long- I think it might have been about 3
> hours) they questioned the soldiers as to their hunger. All those who had
> been given the soup said they were not very hungry, compared to the other
> group who were hungry. Not content with subjective viewpoints they then
> scanned each soldier and in each case the ones who had been given the soup
> had stomachs which still contained food, the others were empty.
>
> The conclusion was that if you wanted to lose weight, drinking with a meal
> would not curb your appetite but incorporating the liguid into the food
> would.
>
> cheers
> Kirsteen
>
>
>
>
>
>
--
Heather Twist
http://eatingoffthefoodgrid.blogspot.com/
------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fast5/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fast5/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:fast5-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:fast5-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
fast5-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
[get this widget]
0 comments:
Post a Comment