That's funny! Yeah, we are into "big", for sure. I remember back in
the day me and my housemate would get a half-gallon Big Gulp and drink
it while we went garage-saling. Sheesh.
These days we very rarely eat out or buy prepared food. This started
because I can't have gluten-stuff anymore, but after we got "off the
grid", the "American culture" food started tasting really bad to us.
My kids won't touch most of it. Once in awhile they'll buy a pop, and
drink maybe a few ounces of it. They won't eat french fries either.
But I made some french fries at home, and everyone loved them. I don't
know what they DO to the stuff they make, but it's just weird, and you
can taste the weirdness once you've been off it for awhile.
I have to say I miss the comradie though, the idea of going to a party
and just eating whatever is there. My dd and dh went to a potluck and
couldn't find anything to eat besides what they brought ... they spent
hours there not eating, then came home to a nice cornish game hen and
roasted vegies (super easy dinner to make). I'm really looking forward
to the day when our "cultural food" will also be "good food".
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Rick Stewart<rstewart@iaff.org> wrote:
> Heather-
>
> Yes and sadly, American "culture" is dictated by marketing firms. I laugh whenever somebody looks at me sideways for ordering a small beverage, or asking for anything in miniature sizes. I always hear, "Why don't you just pay the extra ten cents and get the big one?" "Uh, because I only want the small one, and I'd like to keep my ten cents." It's just assumed that you're a dolt if you don't go for the "bigger, better value". The phrase "Common Sense" used to mean something too. Now people think if you don't get the biggest thing or the best "value" you don't have any common sense. Common sense seems to be following what TV or the news or a really popular website tells you is smart. I just don't get it.
>
> Anyway, you're right, there are few natural cultural norms because modern life has been created by ad agencies and corporations. Once you become aware of this modern delusion, life is more work, but it becomes YOUR life.
>
> -Rick
>
>
>
------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fast5/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fast5/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:fast5-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:fast5-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
fast5-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
[get this widget]
0 comments:
Post a Comment