Just two minutes ago i heard about Dr. Mirkin for the first time on another list and wrote a response somewhat like yours. I too believe that we have differing metabolisms. But since there are no essential carbohydrates and there are essential fatty acids and esssential amino acids I think the evidence points to the fact that some of us have evolved the ability to*tolerate* carbs. when people do well on diets like Mirkin's I think it is simply because they have cut out the junk --flour and sugar --heck everybody improves to some degree that way. But a lot of us need to go further.
Ellen
My doctor (who recently retired) had a radio show for 25 years and has practiced sports medicine since the 1960's. He talks a lot on his website about insulin, fatty liver, diabetes, and heart disease. Here's his take on fatty liver and what it's about:
http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/7191.html
If you search his site further, there are hundreds of really interesting articles from a medical perspective. He tends to lean toward the low fat/high fiber, fruits and vegetables, fish and seafood, and whole grains/legumes approach. It works really well for him as he's in his 70's, thin as a rail, and he rides his bike hundreds of miles every week.
I tend to subscribe to the thought that there are different metabolic types. Some people work really well on high protein, high fat diets. Some folks can eat bean sprouts and radishes and be fit as a fiddle. I personally need high amounts of lean protein, good fats, and lots of vegetables to keep my joints from aching and my skin clear. If I try a low protein/low fat diet, my wrists and knees hurt and the skin on my face gets red and peely.
But Dr Mirkin really is on the ball when it comes to health and sports nutrition. Too bad he retired. I miss picking his brain. ;)
-Rick Stewart
--- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, Heather Twist <HeatherTwist@...> wrote:
>
> Sure, by all means repost. Your thoughts got me thinking too: I hadn't
> really heard anything much about diabetes being part of liver damage.
> I've always heard it the other way around: diabetes leads to fatty liver.
>
> But my severely diabetic friend claimed his was due to massive drinking
> binges when he was in Viet Nam. And the study would seem to indicate
> that fatty liver can lead to diabetes. Not that I know anything about it
> or even that I read it right. It's just intriguing.
>
> If true though, that opens up a whole new line of inquiry. What causes
> fatty liver? HFCS is one, I think. And high ferritin levels ...
> donating blood is
> one of the things that has been shown to prevent T2 diabetes, but
> no one really knows *why* that should be. High iron levels damage
> the liver though, so it would make sense.
>
> The interaction between fasting and fatty liver ... I have no idea. The
> first thing that comes to my mind would be that some dietary changes
> could have an effect. Like, if a person was "eating healthier" and that
> included more red meat or liver or molasses, that could raise
> iron stores. Vitamin C can release iron stores suddenly.
> Or if a person now has one big meal and drinks wine with it,
> the iron will get absorbed more fully. So people with fatty
> liver because of high iron stores will need to
> be careful what they eat in one big meal (not that this is an ideal
> solution: donating blood is more effective but one can't do that if
> one has "issues").
>
> And the other causes of fatty liver? I don't really know them.
> Celiac is one, and HFCS. Might be worth researching though.
> Good luck in your group: I don't have time for more groups
> and I don't know much about any of this, but do share interesting
> stuff that comes out of your studies!
__._,_.___![]()
Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe
__,_._,___
[get this widget]
0 comments:
Post a Comment