Heather-
Yes and sadly, American "culture" is dictated by marketing firms. I laugh whenever somebody looks at me sideways for ordering a small beverage, or asking for anything in miniature sizes. I always hear, "Why don't you just pay the extra ten cents and get the big one?" "Uh, because I only want the small one, and I'd like to keep my ten cents." It's just assumed that you're a dolt if you don't go for the "bigger, better value". The phrase "Common Sense" used to mean something too. Now people think if you don't get the biggest thing or the best "value" you don't have any common sense. Common sense seems to be following what TV or the news or a really popular website tells you is smart. I just don't get it.
Anyway, you're right, there are few natural cultural norms because modern life has been created by ad agencies and corporations. Once you become aware of this modern delusion, life is more work, but it becomes YOUR life.
-Rick
--- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, Heather Twist <HeatherTwist@...> wrote:
> > -Rick
>
> I agree. I think humans are designed to operate in the context of
> something called "culture". Most successful societies have some kind
> of successful "food culture" that keeps people healthy. Something
> like: "At dusk, everyone will come in from the field, wash up, and
> enjoy a long slow meal that the womenfolk have prepared" (I'm not
> trying to be sexist here, but when women were usually watching the
> kids too, fiber work and cooking were done by the child-watchers who
> needed to be, usually, near home).
>
> In France, they still have an active food culture. There are
> prohibitions like "It is gauche to eat between meals". And "we eat
> long slow dinners". They tend to be into one big meal mainly too.
>
> But in the US, and more and more in the rest of the world, the food
> culture has been hijacked by advertising. We believe "what is normal"
> is "what our eyes see": which is a lot of ads of happy families
> happily snacking on stuff that is easily packaged, like cereal and
> potato chips. Or HFCS water with vitamins added. None of them are
> overweight or have so much as one blemish. So they must be doing it
> right!
------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fast5/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fast5/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:fast5-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:fast5-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
fast5-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
[get this widget]
0 comments:
Post a Comment